Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Breeding Pipeline Planning Data Analyst
Purpose of the role
The Breeding Pipeline Planning Data Analyst will utilize their technical knowledge of key technologies used in modern breeding methodology in a fast-paced R&D team environment to develop solutions and accelerate the breeding pipelines and product development efforts. This role will be responsible for developing and deploying prototype solutions and working with IT and data teams to deliver robust POC solutions used to model the future state data tools in a continually evolving technical environment.
This new position offers the opportunity to work in the Research and Development group of the world’s largest crop science organization. The working environment offers opportunities to drive change, support research divisions, and partner to deliver outstanding products to market faster. Candidates with a strong understanding of genomics, agriculture, consumer science, vegetable breeding or other related field are highly desired for this position.
The Breeding Pipeline Planning Data Analyst works collaboratively with interdisciplinary scientists, IT and engineering professionals across the organization to solve critical problems and answer important questions that drive key decisions for our business. He/she fosters new game changing ideas to produce sophisticated, intelligent optimization solutions and predictive models. He/she works on a team as an individual contributor with other Data Scientists and may lead multi-discipline project teams of large scope which may require assigning and coordinating the work of others. This position will be reporting to the Pipeline Planning & Technology Adaption Lead and is based in Bergschenhoek.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Maximizing the use of available data to support the Vegetables R&D business workflows
- Analyze, design and implement new and improved workflows for the logistics of material flowing through the pipelines.
- Forming partnerships with cross functional teams in the company, including internal R&D, engineering and IT teams and managing the bi-directional flow of global-ready data and dashboards.
- Providing technical contributions in a fast-paced team environment to accelerate our efforts on building an analytics-driven product pipeline.
- Assess needs and recommends experiments and projects, suggests new algorithmic development, drive tactical decisions about approaches and needed data.
- Using advanced mathematical models, machine learning algorithms, operations research techniques, and strong business acumen to deliver insight, recommendations, and solutions.
- Demonstrate full autonomy in developing relationships for effective cross-functional collaboration throughout multiple organizations and partner on work stream initiatives for Data Science Community.
- Developing sustainable, consumable, accurate, and impactful reporting on model inputs, model outputs, observed outputs, business impact, and key performance indicators.
- Present compelling, validated stories to all levels of organization, including peers, senior management, and internal customers to drive both strategic and operational changes in business.
Key working relationships
The Breeding Pipeline Planning Data Analyst will be working with key stakeholders under the direction of supervisor/leader or immediate team (amongst others: Advanced Pipeline Design data team, Breeders, Breeding Research Associates, Technicians, Field labor contractors, Inside farming department, Outside farming department and breeding technology teams).
He/she will be building relationships and networks within current function and cross-functionally, interacts most often with Data Scientists across multiple organizations and key stakeholders within the business including senior level management.
He/she is an active member in the Data Science community to build personal acumen & ability, while also sharing new industry best practices in data science methodologies. Besides, he/she provides support for their team without management presence and is expected to provide technical leadership to all levels of the organization.
Who you are
- Education: Computer Science or other related quantitative discipline: Bachelor’s degree with 8+ years of experience or master’s degree with 6+ years of experience or PhD with 3+ years of experience.
- Strong knowledge of data analytics or operation research.
- Experience in using SAS is a must as well as familiarity with Oracle databases, coding in R, Python, SQL, MYSQL server, the use of Spotfire, Tableau, Pipeline Pilot. Proficient with version control for coding. Familiarity with APIs is desired.
- Strong proficiency in computational skills; skilled at the intermediate level building data models using R, Python or other statistical and/or mathematical programming packages.
- Strong project management and organizational skills and proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a proven track record of solving challenging and complex problems.
- Educational preparation or applied experience in at least one of the following areas: Machine Learning, Electrical/Industrial Engineering, Operation Research, Statistical Genetics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Genomics, Computational Biology, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or other related quantitative discipline.
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken, in English to include presentations and delivery of complex quantitative analyses in a clear, concise and actionable manner to broad audiences and key stakeholders across multiple functions.
- Extensive experience in successful delivery of valuable analysis through application of domain knowledge; evidence of strong business acumen.
- Ability to manage a larger more diverse and complex project/program.
- Competencies: drives result, collaborates and plans & aligns.
What Bayer offers you
At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Bayer Crop Science employees benefit from good employment conditions, such as:
- Excellent salary including 8,33% holiday allowance.
- 25 days of annual leave.
- Lots of international growth opportunities.
- A team of enthusiastic, professional and driven colleagues.
- Informal working environment.
Bayer offers you a contract for one year. However, if there’s a match, it’s a long-term position.
More information or apply?
At Bayer, we are committed to improving lives through a food system that is better for farmers, consumers and the planet. These targets will be both ambitious and time-bound, with a combination of long-term thinking and short- to mid-term goals. We cannot realize this vision alone. Turning today’s impossibilities into tomorrow’s breakthroughs requires strong collaboration with scientists, innovators, regulators, and farmers. Please check this link to get more insight into Bayer Crop Science.
Are you looking for a new challenge where you can show your passion for innovation? Are you interested in working as part of a global team to improve people’s lives? Then send us your online application including cover letter and CV or reach out to Heidi Kroon, Talent Acquisition (email@example.com). Because of privacy reasons, we can only take online applications into consideration.
An online assessment will be part of the recruitment process.
Are you looking for a new challenge where you can show your passion for innovation? Are you interested in working as part of a global team to improve people’s lives? Then send us your online application including cover letter, CV and references.
Bayer welcomes applications from all individuals, regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, physical characteristics, social origin, disability, union membership, religion, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or any unlawful criterion under applicable law. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and avoiding discrimination.
Reference Code: 285121
Functional Area: Biological R&D